July 1, 2020
The duo are joined by author and leadership mentor, Terence Mauri. Together, the trio squeeze a research paper that scientifically finds measurable methods by which leaders can better harness their energy and be more influential at work.
- Research Paper: 'Energizing Leaders via Self-Reflection: A Within-Person Field Experiment' by Klodiana Lanaj, Trevor Foulk and Amir Erez
June 17, 2020
It's time for another catch up with Akin and Dan. The duo have some special announcements, and also open the window into what's been happening in their lives.
June 10, 2020
A squad of researchers analysed a month's worth of police body camera footage from routine traffic stops in Oakland, California. Their findings highlight a racial bias that contributes towards the dysfunction relationship between Black Americans and the police. Dan and Akin squeeze the findings.
- Research Paper: 'Language from Police Body Camera Footage Shows Racial Disparities in Officer Respect' by Rob Voigt, Nicholas P. Camp, Vinodkumar Prabhakaran, William L. Hamilton, Rebecca C. Hetey, Camilla M. Griffiths, David Jurgens, Dan Jurafsky, and Jennifer L. Eberhardt
June 3, 2020
Improve your mental health, and your physical health follows. Dan and Akin squeeze research which finds positive, self-affirming expressive writing has real and measurable benefits for women being treated for breast cancer.
- Research Paper: 'Does Self-Affirmation, Cognitive Processing, or Discovery of Meaning Explain Cancer-Related Health Benefits of Expressive Writing' by J. David Creswell, Suman Lam, Annette L. Stanton, Shelley E. Taylor, Julienne E. Bower and David K. Sherman
May 27, 2020
To be the best, you've got to beat the best! Dan and Akin squeeze research looking into the roles guilt and shame play in competition and motivation.
- Research Paper: 'May the Best Man Lose: Guilt Inhibits Competitive Motivation' by Uriel Haran
May 20, 2020
What do we mean when we say someone is "overqualified"? Dan and Akin look at why and when highly attractive qualities work against the best person for the job.
- Research Paper: 'Too Good to Hire? Capability and Inferences about Commitment in Labor Markets' by Roman V. Galperin, Oliver Hahl, Adina D. Sterling, Jerry Guo
May 13, 2020
Something rather peculiar happens to the strength of your argument when you add everything and the kitchen sink to it. Dan and Akin squeeze research that will have you rethinking how the best cases are put forward.
- Research Paper: 'The Unintended Consequences of Argument Dilution in Direct-to-Consumer Drug Advertisements' by Niro Sivanathan and Hemant Kakkar
May 6, 2020
What do you do when you're wrong? For the first time, Dan and Akin squeeze a research paper by a team looking to correct findings previously thought to be true.
- Research Paper: 'Signing at the Beginning Versus at the End Does Not Decrease Dishonesty' by Ariella S. Kristal, Ashley V. Whillans, Max H. Bazerman, Francesca Gino, Lisa L. Shu, Nina Mazar, and Dan Ariely
April 29, 2020
Centuries of research have turned our understanding of nostalgia on its head. What was once believed to be a psychiatric disorder is now hailed as serving key psychological functions. Dan and Akin squeeze the findings.
- Research Paper: 'Nostalgia: Past, Present, and Future' by Constantine Sedikides, Tim Wildschut, Jamie Arndt and Clay Routledge
April 22, 2020
If you're into meditation, you're going to love this! If you're not already into it, this might be what draws you in. Dan and Akin squeeze research which finds you can significantly improve your life without having to lift a finger.
- Research Paper: 'Open Hearts Build Lives: Positive Emotions, Induced Through Loving-Kindness Meditation, Build Consequential Personal Resources' by Barbara L. Fredrickson, Michael A. Cohn, Kimberly A. Coffey, Jolynn Pek, and Sandra M. Finkel